The Czech Republic
Safe. Beautiful. Cultured. Friendly. These are some of the first few words that come to mind when describing the Czech Republic and its peoples. If you are not from Europe, you may not be familiar with this modern nation. Did you know that the Czech Republic:
- Is one of the safest and most peaceful countries in the world. In 2014, the Czech Republic achieved a ranking of #11 in the international Global Peace Index (GPI). This index is the world’s leading measure of national peacefulness, and is used by international organisations, governments and NGOs including the World Bank, the OECD, and the United Nations. GPI correlates well with levels of democracy and transparency, education and national wellbeing.
- Has been a member of the European Union (EU) since 2004, with a high standard of living, infrastructure, and economic opportunity.
- Ranks in the top 10 countries in the world for average internet connection speed.
- Has Germany, with which it shares its longest border, as its leading trade partner, with more than $84 billion in trade between the two neighbors annually.
- Has non-stop flights to 137 cities around the world, and is less than 2 hours from London, Paris, Amsterdam, Rome, Copenhagen, Oslo, and Berlin. The Czech Republic is in the heart of Europe, bordering Germany and Austria, and serves as a major convention centre.
- Has had 5 Nobel Prize winners — 2 in Medicine, 1 in Chemistry, 1 in Literature, and 1 Nobel Peace Prize winner. Three have been men, two women.
- Has more UNESCO world heritage sites per square meter than any other country in the world. It is a place with rich history and natural beauty.
- Has over 7 million tourists annually, with the largest increases in 2014 from Finland, Norway, Sweden, China, and South Korea. The Czech Republic is considered one of the most beautiful places you’ll ever visit.
- Has its capital, Prague, ranked consistently as one of the 10 most beautiful cities in the world, and has been voted Europe’s Prettiest City.
- Is world renown in the film industry, and has been the locations for such Hollywood blockbusters as Amadeus, Mission Impossible, Anthropoid, and Casino Royale.